How does the health insurance premium tax credit work?
Tax credits help lower the cost of your health insurance. If you are eligible for tax credits, you can choose to use some or all of your tax credits to lower your monthly premium payments, or wait to get all of your tax credits when you file your tax return. You must file your taxes when you get tax credits.
You are eligible for tax credits if you:
- Buy health insurance through Washington Healthplanfinder
- Are within certain income limits
- Don’t have access to other insurance options through work or another government program
- Are a U.S. citizen or a legal resident
- Don’t file a tax return as married filing separately