Report a Change

Once you have coverage through Washington Healthplanfinder, you should report changes to your income, household, address, and health coverage eligibility as soon as possible. Reporting changes is important so your information stays up to date and so that you get the right amount of financial help. The easiest way to report changes is through your Washington Healthplanfinder account online.

Changes You Should Report

You should report the changes below within 60 days for Qualified Health Plans (30 days for Washington Apple Health) from the date of the event.


  • Someone in your household has an increase or decrease in monthly income by at least $150
  • If your household income changes weekly or every two weeks, only report the total income change for the month

Learn more about reporting income.

Health Coverage

  • Someone in your household is getting coverage through their employer
  • Someone in your household is getting coverage from a public program, such as Washington Apple Health or Medicare
  • Someone in your household is losing or has lost coverage

Household Changes

  • Someone in your household had a baby or adopted a child
  • Someone in your household is pregnant
  • Someone in your household got married or divorced
  • A child on your health plan is turning or has turned 26 years old
  • Someone in your household has died
  • A dependent has been added or removed from your household
  • Someone in your household is moving
  • Corrections to a name, date of birth, or Social Security number

Other Changes

Why You Should Report Changes

  • If your income goes up or you lose a member of your household: You may qualify for less financial help than you’re getting now. If you don’t report the changes, you could be required to pay money back when you file your federal tax return for the year.
  • If your income goes down or you gain a household member: You could qualify for more financial help than you’re currently getting. This could lower the amount you pay in monthly premiums. You could also qualify for free or low-cost coverage through Washington Apple Health (Medicaid).
  • If your change qualifies you for a special enrollment period (outside of the open enrollment period): Some life changes, such as getting married, having a baby, or losing health coverage, qualify you for a special enrollment period. This means you can shop for a new plan.

How to Report Changes

To report a change, sign in to your account and select “Report a Change”. You can do this at or through WAPlanfinder, our mobile app. Answer the questions that apply to you and follow the pages to update your information.
After you make your updates and submit your application, you’ll get a new eligibility result that will explain:

  • If you qualify for Washington Apple Health or a Qualified Health and Dental Plan
  • If you qualify for a special enrollment period (outside of open enrollment)
  • Any new amount of financial help, such as tax credits or cost-sharing reductions

For Qualified Health Plans and Qualified Dental Plans, you must report changes to your account by the 15th of the for your coverage to begin next month. If your tax credit amount changes, you can adjust how much you want to use to lower the cost of your monthly premium.

Additionally, we have built a tool to help you estimate your premium tax credit. If your household income changes during the year providing an estimate of the changes to the premium tax credit amount. This tool does not calculate the actual premium tax credit, your eligibility to receive the tax credit, or provide legal, tax or accounting advice.

Shopping Eligibility

For certain changes that qualify you for a special enrollment period, there are various rules that may allow you to add new members to your current coverage, or shop for new coverage altogether. Whether you can add a member or shop all depends on your current situation and the change that you report.